NEW! Youth Mental Health First Aid Course
This online course qualifies you as a Youth Mental Health First Aider, giving you an in-depth understanding of young people’s mental health and factors that affect wellbeing. It will also give you the knowledge to help a young person recover their health by guiding them to further support – whether that’s through self-help sites, their place of learning, the NHS, or a mix – engaging with parents, carers and external agencies where appropriate
One in ten young people experience a mental health issue at any one time. Suicide is the leading cause of death for those aged 5-19.
- Seven are likely to have been bullied
- Six may be self-harming
- One could have experienced the death of a parent
Record levels of young people are struggling. Academic pressure, social media, bullying, poverty, lack of availability of professional mental health support – all have been named by various sources as contributing to this epidemic of poor mental health in our young people.
It’s clear that young people are not getting the support they need. Key figures in a young person’s life – parents, family members, teachers, tutors, carers, youth workers – can often spot when a young person is struggling but may not know how best to help.
Youth Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) courses are for everyone who works with, lives with or supports young people aged 8-18. They will teach you the skills and confidence to spot the signs of mental health issues in a young person, offer first aid and guide them towards the support they need. In doing so, you can speed up a young person’s recovery and stop a mental health issue from getting worse.
This online course qualifies you as a Youth Mental Health First Aider, giving you:
- An in-depth understanding of young people’s mental health and factors that affect wellbeing
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to reassure and support a young person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help a young person recover their health by guiding them to further support – whether that’s through self-help sites, their place of learning, the NHS, or a mix – engaging with parents, carers and external agencies where appropriate
- Ability to support a young person with a long term mental health issue or disability to thrive
- Tools to look after your own mental wellbeing
For more information on this course, download a copy of the course breakdown here.
We were absolutely delighted with the Youth Mental Health First Aid course that the 8billionideas team went through.
Working with young people in groups and one-to-one, it is absolutely essential to be as aware as possible about the issues they may face and how best to support them. The MHFA course was nothing short of perfect – a wonderful combination of interactive group work, discussion, facilitation and extremely engaging self-paced learning. The format and content of the course has left the team feeling much, much better informed and very confident in being able to support young people through a wide range of situations or mental health experiences they may encounter.
As a course leader, we cannot recommend Lisa enough. The organisation of the course was easy, flexible and quick and we were well-informed in advance of the first session. Throughout the course itself, Lisa was wonderfully supportive, informative and engaging. She handled each topic in an inclusive yet gentle manner and thoroughly involved the whole team in the process. We will absolutely be asking Lisa to support us again as we put the entire team through this brilliant learning experience.
Get in touch NOW to see how we can make your workplace great!!
HR, Mental Health, Wellbeing and Employee Engagement
T: 07990 712008